Saturday, June 29, 2013

Baked Brownies

I love brownies.
I am very specific about what kinds of brownies that I love though.
My favorite brownies were at Sarah's Pastries and Candies.
But that lovely shoppe closed... and I am super upset about it

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g35805-d1764340-i32809523-Tastebud_Tours_Chicago_Food_Tours-Chicago_Illinois.html#32463616
I mean woah...

By the way, I am currently watching the CBS show, The American Baking Competition...
How can I get involved with this!!!
Seriously though! I am looking it up and it says that there are local competitions that you need to win first, and you have to have an interesting background... I have an interesting background!
I am interesting!

Anyway, help me if you can... this is a sad, public, and embarrassing plea.

Back to my brownies...
So this is the classic Baked Brownie recipe, from the lovely Brooklyn Bakers, Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafit. Their cookbooks are the best and you must purchase them NOW, here.
Seriously next time I am in New York, which will be in a few weeks... I am going to this bakery!
It's on my bucket list.

Well, anyway, when I was making these brownies


My go to recipe! I realized I didn't have any granulated sugar. 
WHAT?
Never happens to me. But it did. I was mortified. So I decided to experiment with...
Turbinado Sugar!
More commonly known as, Sugar In The Raw.

It was such a success! As you can see in the picture above, it crystalized as it baked and left the brownies with a delicious crispy crust, but didn't affect the extremely moist, fudgy, chewy insides!

I also added a good amount of instant espresso to my batter so don't eat these too late at night...
Good luck fellow bakees!


Yummmm.

Baked Brownies
Adapted from Baked
Yields about 24 Brownies
  • 1 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 11 ounces Dark Chocolate (I use 60-70%, Scharffen Berger is the best!)
  • 1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
  • 1 tablespoon Instant Espresso Powder
  • 1 1/2 cups Turbinado Sugar (or regular sugar!)
  • 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
  • 5 Large Eggs, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13x9" pan with parchment paper and butter the bottom and sides.

Whisk together flour, salt, and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Place the chocolate, butter, and espresso powder in a large heat proof bowl. Melt in the microwave on high in 30 second intervals until smooth, stirring in between each interval. Add the sugars to the butter mixture and whisk until blended. Add three eggs and whisk until combined. Whisk in the vanilla. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix your batter! The brownies will be too airy and not fudgy!

Now, sprinkle the flour mixture over the top of the chocolate mixture. Carefully fold the flour in and again, do not over mix! You should still have a few streaks of flour when you pour the batter in to the pan. Spread the batter evenly and place in the oven for 30 minutes! Don't over bake them, just trust that 30 minutes is going to be enough! If you're really unsure and your oven's temperature is off, a toothpick inserted into the center should come out with a few moist crumbs!

Let cool and serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment