Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sugar Cookies


I have many passions in my life.
The obvious, baking, but they are more specific than just that. 
I am passionate about chocolate chip cookies. I am passionate about cinnamon rolls. And, I am passionate about decorating sugar cookies.

Is that weird?

Maybe a little. Everybody loves sugar cookies. I just love creating them. Tomorrow I will post a decorating tutorial, and I swear, it is seriously not that hard. Pinky promise!
Just really messy sometimes... hehe.

Anyway, I was stumbling through old baking photos earlier today and I came across this magnificent gem.


I'm first row, second from the right. This was from a few summers ago when I took a pastry class at the French Pastry School of Chicago. We actually had to wear the hats.
I'm dying.

It was actually a good experience except for the fact that I was a young, inexperienced, 16-year old girl working with a bunch of professionals from around the world. That was awkward. I learned a lot though, met some amazing people, and had a fun time.

Back to cookies. 
I have a few suggestions/tips so that your cookies bake perfectly.
*Refrigerate the dough for about an hour so it is easier to roll out
*Use 2, 1/4 inch wooden planks on either side of the dough, this will help you to roll it out evenly
*Only roll out a batch of dough twice, otherwise pockets or air bubbles will form
*Freeze cut out shapes on the cookie sheet before putting them in the oven (only a minute is fine!)


I chose to use this beautiful little cookie cutter:


Cutting out this dough is a piece of cake.


Oh my God, I am such a loser...


That's all I got, ya filthy animals. I'll post the decorating tutorial tomorrow and here are some decorating ideas to get you started!

Ice Cream Cones

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikinis

Sea Shells

Lobsters

Father's Day is coming up... Golf Bags?

Sugar Cookies
Yields about 2 dozen 3-inch cookies or 3 dozen 2-inch cookies
  • 3 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon Almond Extract, this is not necessary only if you want/aren't allergic to nuts


Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. In a the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, blend the butter and sugar until smooth, about three minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, scrape down the sides. Gradually add the flour mixture until it is all incorporated.

Divide the dough into two parts and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a half hour to 2 days. When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/4 inch thick. (A little thinner if you're making super large cookies). Cut out desired shapes and place about an inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I usually freeze the cut out shapes while I am waiting for the oven to preheat, one minute is enough in the freezer. 
Bake for about 10-12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The cookies should be lightly golden on the sides, and if you look underneath one of them, the bottom should be all golden.
Let the cookies cool before decorating.

Royal Icing
Yields about 2 cups

  • 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Powdered Egg Whites/Meringue Powder
  • 1/4 cup Water, more or less depending on how drippy the icing needs to be
  • Food Coloring


Mix all the ingredients together. Use brushes or pastry bags to decorate, as well as sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment