Sunday, June 2, 2013

Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Poppyseed Glaze

This recipe is adapted from America's Test Kitchen. America's Test Kitchen is this group of chefs/geniuses who test popular recipes until they get them perfect. So the basic muffin recipe I used wasn't changed at all, however, I added my own special touches to give them a unique flavor and look.


 I made these for my sister's Advisory breakfast. When I was in high school, one person would bring breakfast every Friday... this usually meant Panera bagels, Dunkin' Donuts, something simple.
I'm not simple.
I would bring various homemade quick breads, doughnuts, muffins, kringles, etc. I viewed Friday morning breakfasts as an opportunity to explore my breakfast repertoire. I also would walk around my huge high school with several containers of goodies to each classroom, passing them out to all my friends just because I'm a little weird like that.

I like this recipe because they're fast to whip up and easy to experiment with so... happy baking!!

Blueberry Muffins

Adapted from America's Test Kitchen
yields about 2 dozen

  • 3 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 1/2 cups Greek Yogurt (you can substitute sour cream or plain lowfat yogurt)
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (melted and cooled, 1 stick)
  • 2 cups Blueberries

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners.

In a small bowl whisk together the butter, yogurt and eggs. In a larger bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in the center and add the butter mixture. Gently fold together the ingredients using a rubber spatula until just a few streaks of flour are left. Now add the blueberries and mix until just combined and there are no more flour streaks.

Using an ice cream scooper, fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way up. Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. While the muffins are baking, prepare the glaze.

Lemon Poppyseed Glaze

yields about 1 cup of glaze

  • 1 cup Powdered Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of Milk
  • 1 tablepoon Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon Poppyseeds

Whisk together all ingredients. Spoon over slightly cooled muffins and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment