Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ginger Crinkles

Sometimes I wish I was a Christmas elf.

I kind of am. I love Christmas. I love making/giving gifts. I love making/decorating cookies. I love cold weather. Red and green are my favorite colors. My favorite genre of music is Holiday. 
I pretty much celebrate all year long.

It's not even Christmas day that gets me going.
It's the wonderful time leading up to that magnificent day (which is all year long?)
So it shouldn't come as much of a surprise to you that I made the most comforting, Christmas-y cookie on the hottest day of summer so far.


This recipe is one of my family favorites. I wouldn't say it's a "secret" recipe, because I bet if you google search, Ginger Crinkles, you'll get a recipe quite similar.
It is a recipe that is dear to my whole family though!
My mom and I always laugh because every time we bake these cookies, they turn out just sliiiiightly different.
Sometimes they're darker, thinner, lighter, thicker, chewier, softer, fluffier... you get the point.


They're super easy to make, I just stir them by hand. The ingredients don't really have to go in the bowl in any particular order.
We tend to just throw them all in a bowl and stir.
In fact, scribbled on a little notecard, I believe the recipe states:
"Place ingredients in bowl. Mix well."

Easy peasy.
Enjoy fellow elves!


Ginger Crinkles

Yields about 3 dozen
  • 2/3 cup Canola/Vegetable Oil
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 1/4 cup Molasses
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 2 cups Flour
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 teaspoons Ginger
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • Sugar for rolling
Preheat oven to 350. 

Mix together oil, sugar, egg, molasses, and vanilla in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture.
Roll into 1 inch balls and roll these in sugar. Place about an inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 10-13 minutes depending on how crisp you like them!



No comments:

Post a Comment