Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chewy Sugar Cookies

"If you put these cookies on your windowsill, I will steal them..."


Said by an anonymous cookie psycho.

I love a crispy, buttery, shortbread cookie.
But, I really love a crispy, buttery, chewy, lemony, sprinkled sugar cookie.
This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart's Old Fashioned Sugar Cookie recipe.
I know everyone seems to hate Martha for her scandal back in 2002, but like, give her a break.
She is only the most creative person to live since um, Julia Child. 
My two favorite people in the whole wide world!!!

Martha has about 6 million sugar cookie recipes to choose from, and I'll tell you. I've tested them all. This one is by far the best.
I mean I changed the recipe a little, but her version is just as good.

You can decorate the dough with any sprinkles you like


They bake up perfectly and you can bake them slightly crisper if you're like my dad and me.
I made some Fourth of July/Memorial Day/Labor Day ones as well



So freaking cute!
And delicious!
Enjoy!

Chewy Sugar Cookies
Adapted From Martha Stewart
Yields 3 dozen
  • 1 3/4 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
  • Zest of One Lemon
  • 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 3 cups Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Sprinkles/Sanding Sugar to coat
Preheat oven to 350.
Beat together sugars and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add butter and blend on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and blend, then scrape down the sides. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture.

Scoop 2-tablespoon-sized balls of dough and roll in desired sugar. You can use regular sugar if you want but I like to use jimmies best! Place about 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I can fit anywhere between 6-8 on one sheet. Bake for 13-16 minutes until edges are golden. If you want chewier cookies the centers should still be pretty puffy. If you want crispier cookies bake for the full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment